Thursday, October 9, 2008

Getting Older Sucks!

I've come to realize that the older I get, the stupider I get, the lazier I get, I've become less immune to certain things, and my body just doesn't recover as quick as it used to. When I was in my early 20's I could go out all night, booze it up, drive home with one eye, get maybe 2 hours of sleep, get up, go to work and repeat the cycle. Now that I'm getting older, it takes me at least 2 days to recover from a night of what I like to consider hard-core drinking, although its only a quarter of what I did when I was younger. The question is, did I just party so much that I thought a hangover was a normal feeling? Did I not know how good it felt to NOT be hungover? Now, I'm making myself sound like an alcoholic and it really wasn't that serious but it is something to ponder. Last night, I had a total of 7 beers and while I felt fine and not intoxicated, my body felt differently this morning when I woke up. I know I wasn't all there last night, when I got home, I let the dog out, passed out on the couch and woke up 2 hours later to her barking. She was ticked when I finally woke up and let her in, she would have called me a bad mother and flipped me the bird if she could have. I proceeded to go upstairs at this point and go to sleep which I did instantly. 7:00 came VERY early this morning. I couldn't get my eyes to focus, my stomach felt like a bottomless pit, and I was achy. The pounding in my head was my body's way of saying "Hey stupid, you knew this was coming...what were you thinking?". What I was thinking was I didn't drink that much or so I thought. I actually felt much more intoxicated this morning than I did last night. Is that because the alcohol seduced my brain into believing that I felt fine? Alcohol is a hell of a drug....a legal drug. I just really don't understand how alcohol is legal but yet pot is not. At least if I would have smoked a joint I would have only been really hungry, which means my stomach would not have felt like an empty pit this morning, I would have been completely ok getting out of bed this morning because I would have slept in a coma-like state, and I would not have had cold sweats, achy body or the pounding headache. I don't get it. I'm not a pot smoker by any means, but wouldn't it make sense to have smoke shacks than bars? So basically I have a choice between my lungs and my liver, so here is to you, liver. May you live a long life below my ribs digesting my food, producing proteins, and getting rid of the bad stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment