Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Dreaded Decision

Today, my decision to return to school to obtain my masters was finalized. It was a dreaded decision. I really didn't want to go back to school again, but feel that I would majorly benefit from another degree. I'd rather just get it over with rather than do it later when I might possibly be juggling more such as being married with children. Tony is in his last year of his electrical apprenticeship, so I figured we could make the best of it and do homework together. I'm sure it will pay off in the end. I think the part that I dreaded most was adding another 20K in student loans to my already large student loan debt. I could have bought a BMW or Cadillac with the amount of money I spent on my schooling, but a car wouldn't last as long as an education would. Maybe once I get these loans paid off in 2027, I can get my car then...

It took me a while to determine what degree I was going back to obtain. My bachelors is a BS in Information Technology, so I was going to go for the Master of Information Systems, however, if I should ever make the move to go outside of IT as I did once already, I'm kind of screwed with my degrees. But since I'm an IT person, I thought I should keep my degree in the same field that I'm currently in and have been in for a few years now. But then I started looking into an MBA - Master of Business Administration - this degree I could take anywhere, but it doesn't necessarily pertain to my field, however its the life experience that counts. Then I found the perfect compromise. MBA with Technology Management Concentration. Its a mixture of both. Perfect!

So, I start my first class in the next couple of months. I have so much going on between October and November with weddings, that I didn't need to add anything else to my plate right now. My first class will be Management, imagine that. Exciting...I can't wait...to get this over with!

No comments:

Post a Comment